Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Primary NK immunodeficiencies

Keeping on the topic of natural killer cells, Jordan Orange, MD, PhD contributes a review on immunodeficiencies associated with NK cell dysfunction [J Allergy Clin Immunol 2013; 132(3):515-525].  The author provides a concise review of NK cell biology, covering their intrinsic activities of cytotoxicity, tumor surveillance, and co-stimulation and signaling.  Orange points out that NK cell deficiency [NKD] is a subset of primary immunodeficiency diseases [PID] that is difficult to diagnose and treat because of the limited clinical information and testing available. 

Like other PID, the author notes that NKD patients are characterized by a susceptibility to chronic and/or severe viral infections, especially herpes viruses.  Accurate diagnosis hinges on determining that the seminal deficiency is associated with NK cells, and that NKD is not secondary to other causes. The author provides an algorithm for identifying primary NKD. 

Orange discusses the current classification of NKD into two types:  classical NKD and functional NKD.  Classical NKD [CNKD] is characterized by severe depletion or absence of NK cells in peripheral blood, while functional NKD [FNKD] is typified by the presence of peripheral NK cells with impaired or abrogated activity.  He points out that there is some overlap in these phenotypes in the reported cases.  Orange further discusses the subtypes of CKND and their associated genetic abnormalities.  In his discussion of FNKD, the author reports on the first identified subtype, FNKD1, which involves a defect in the IgG receptor. 


Orange continues describing the clinical cases that have been reported and the availability and applicability of diagnostics for NKD.  The author also reviews briefly other PID that effect NK cell immunity, but that affect other components of the immune system in the majority.  Addressing the clinical treatment of NKD, he notes that intervention is focused on the herpetic infection susceptibility and employs approved antivirals such as gancyclovir.  Additionally, the author reports that severe presentations of NKD have been treated successfully with stem cell transplantation.  

1 comment:

  1. This man,Dr.Domic Elabe. The great and power herbalist,it's gifted and needs to be known by all those suffering from Herpes and most viral diseases. There's a cure to all sickness including HIV/AIDs,kidney stone,cancer,diabetes1,2,etc. I have Seen it with Dr.Elabe's Herbs. I saw him live on camp his not a scam. You can always contact him. I saw what makes me to trust him,his capable of curing any sickness. it's was just of recent,I understood why my aunt who he cured her 19 years old daughter from the same Herpes,called him doctor for all! Am so happy now. All my life time after I got my breakdown that I was diagnosed of Herpes,I was making use of the Acyclovir 200mg. 2 tablets every 6 hou,and of fustian cream 15grams and H5 POT Permanganate and 2x daily all couldn't work for me. All thanks to Dr. Dominic Elabe After 3 years of more researches seeking for the solution from one hospital to another but couldn't be satisfy with their result and my life was getting more closer to death. Had to listen to the voice of my aunt whom she directed me to you long ago. It was quiet unfortunate I misplaced you're contact details till when she had to call me and congratulated me in respect of her daughter's cure,that was when I remember when it says my people perish cos of lack of knowledge. You're a good and kind man. I obeyed all you medicinal rules as you instructed me after receiving from the DHL.and it all went successfully as you said...I'm so happy,cos it was a very big surprised and I think of joy to be celebrated that Stephanie it's now HSV free. More grace to you're able Dr.Dominic Elabe
    You can reach him for complaints or know more about Dr. Elabe and get cure for once for any of your heath problems ..@
    Emaile:dominicelabeherbalhome4all@gmail.com
    Phone no:+2348140918600

    ReplyDelete