Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2012

Revisiting LABAs with the help of Macbeth


Szefler and Busse provide an entertaining and thoughtful editorial this month on the predicament of LABA step-down by invoking Macbeth’s notorious witches’ ominous chant (J Allergy Clin Immunol 2012;130:1256-1259). Likening the clinician’s dilemma at the FDA recommendation to withdraw LABAs for safety reasons from treatment of well-controlled asthma to the troubling brew of the witches, the authors review the history of long-acting beta 2 agonists’ use and the evidence that supports the safety concerns that prompted the FDA’s action. Szefler and Busse note that a recent evidence review does not concur that LABAs are unsafe when used in combination with ICS and, in fact, concludes that withdrawal of LABAs in that treatment context results in asthma worsening.

At the heart of the controversy are several “Catch-22s”: how and when to step down and, critically, with what to replace LABAs if control is lost. Clinicians and researchers are concerned that the delay in safety reporting will also delay the development of new asthma drugs in the LABA category. Further, the FDA safety trial does not address how to step-down LABAs in the event of a poor safety profile. This would require yet another set of trials, which implies further delays.

Results from the current FDA-mandated safety study are expected to be reported in 2016. Until then, the authors provide approaches for possible step-down in patients on ICS and LABA combination products. Among these, they suggest that clinicians consider the asthma natural history, especially over the previous year, the possibility of adjusting either the ICS or the LABA, and alternative supportive treatments, such as omalizumab or tiotropium, if they decide to step-down the LABA. Szefler and Busse emphasize that there is no current evidence that supports changing the current EPR-3 guidelines, which already advise against LABA monotherapy.

3 comments:

  1. My name is Natalia, i am from Belarus, i want to thank God for using Dr Areghan to cure my virus disease, i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by Dr Areghan, i visited different hospital and i have spent so much money to buy drugs to cure this virus, but nothing happened. I was browsing through the Internet and I saw testimony about Dr Areghan and how he cure people from herpes, so i try to contact him to know if is a scam or not which i did, when i contacted him he gave me hope and said to me that he will cure my (HSV1). so we go into agreement which he promise that he will make my herbal medicine and send it to me, to my greatest surprise he sent the Herbal medicine to me, so he call me that i should take the herb's serious that it will worked for me, today am a free person without problem, my HERPES result came out negative. I pray for you Dr Areghan, am cured, you can also get your self cured my friends if you really need the doctor helps, you can reach him through email at realspellcaster@gmail.con

    ReplyDelete


  2. HOW I WAS RECENTLY CURED FROM HIV/AIDS BY A GREAT HERBAL MEDICINE MAN NAME DR OLUFEMI ADE THROUGH HIS HERBAL MEDICINE
    I am very happy to inform every one reading this comment that i am finally cured from HIV/AIDS with the use of herbal medicine, this herbal medicine cured me completely, And i was tested negative after use-age, i am using this means to inform others who have the same virus that there is a cure for HIV/AIDS, it is absolutely true, this is not a scam because i confirm it my self, and i am a living witness to it.This herbal medicine doctor sent my herbal medicine to me through Courier service. And i used it as i was instructed by this doctor, i was cured by DR OLUFEMI ADE only him i can recognize who cure HIV perfectly, i will advice you to contact this great doctor who GOD has sent to put an end to the sorrow life of HIV/AIDS, you can email him at drolufemiadeherbalhome@gmail.com ...WhatsApp.. +2349060272306 ... OR call.. +2348050557377... This doctor can cure disease like HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, DIABETICS, CANCER, LASSA FEVER, MENOPAUSE DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCY.. and many more ....

    ReplyDelete


  3. This is a testimony you must read. I have spent a lot of money on drugs from one hospital to an other until i found this true man DR OLUFEMI ADE who cured me completely with his powerful herbal medicine. I have been suffering from HIV virus for the past years now, and my younger sister HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS.i have been in stocked and in bondage with this virus for almost 4 years now, I had faith in God that one day i will be free from this deadly disease, few months later when i was searching through the Internet,if I could get any help concerning my disease, on my searching i saw different testimony about DR OLUFEMI ADE how he cured different kinds of deadly disease like HIV, HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, KIDNEY DISEASE, CANCER, DIABETES, ULCER through his herbal medicine. and i was so happy and encourage, so i quickly copy his email address wish is drolufemiadeherbalhome@gmail.com, i email him telling him about my (HIV VIRUS) then he told me not to worry that he is going to prepare a herbal medicine for me which i can be taking to help cure my disease, he then prepare the herbal medicine for me and ask for my address details on how to sent it to me, so i send him my address and he sent my herbal medicine to me through Courier service and i used it as i was instructed behold few months later after taking the herbal medicine, i started experiencing changes in my body, i assumed that i have been cured. I called and email him telling him how i was filling he then asked me to go for a check up, so i went for the check up, believe me i was tested free from this disease, i never believed the doctor, so i went to another hospital for a check up again the doctor confirmed the something that we were free. i was so happy and i give glory and almighty to God for using this man to save us from our shame. This was how we got ride of our condition. So friends there is hope out there to that your problem, no need to cry anymore. my only advise is, if you have any similar issue or you want to help a friend. you can email him at drolufemiadeherbalhome@gmail.com OR WhatsApp him on his mobile number +2349060272306 ... call .. +2348050557377.. thank you sir for giving back our life again.

    ReplyDelete