Search This Blog

Monday, June 2, 2014

The effects of calcitriol treatment in glucocorticoid resistant asthma

The current and most effective treatment for asthma therapy is the use of glucocorticoids by improving the clinical features and airway inflammation associated with asthma. However, a cohort of well-defined asthma patients exists in whom high-dose glucocorticoid treatment is not only clinically ineffective, but potentially detrimental.  Several mechanisms have been proposed to contribute to glucocorticoid resistance, including vitamin D insufficiency. Nanzer et al recently published data that glucocorticoid resistant patients fail to synthesize the anti-inflammatory cytokine interleukin-10 (IL-10) in response to glucocorticoid in vitro compared to glucocorticoid sensitive patients (J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014; 133(6): 1755-1757). When resistant patients ingested a form of vitamin D called calcitriol (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3) in combination with glucocorticoid, levels of IL-10 were restored in vivo and ex-vivo. Taken together, these data along with epidemiological evidence linking vitamin D insufficiency/deficiency with poor clinical response to asthma treatment provided the rationale for the authors to perform a proof-of-concept clinical trial.

A small group of glucocorticoid resistant severe asthmatics were chosen and placed on a 2-week course of oral prednisolone and then randomly assigned placebo or 0.25ug calcitriol twice daily for 4 weeks. During the last 2 weeks patients repeated a course of oral prednisolone. The authors hypothesized that the concomitant calcitriol therapy would improve clinical glucocorticoid responsiveness in these patients. They did not expect the short course of calcitriol to restore Vitamin D sufficiency, but to address the short-term effects of calcitriol itself.


A within group comparison showing the change in lung function during the initial screening in response to 2-weeks oral prednisolone versus the response to an identical course of prednisolone plus either placebo or calcitriol, revealed a modest but significant improvement in absolute and predicted FEV₁ within the calcitriol but not the placebo arm. Furthermore, a trend for a positive correlation between baseline serum Vitamin D concentrations and change in predicted lung function following prednisolone was observed in placebo patients. This data suggests that treatment with a short course of calcitriol may improve the clinical glucocorticoid responsiveness in asthma, including patients classified as clinically glucocorticoid resistant. While larger studies with clinically well-defined cohorts are warranted, these results are very encouraging for the treatment of glucocorticoid resistant asthma. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi…….
    I like this post.
    hashmi herbal is also a best Natural asthma treatment.
    For more info regarding asthma treatment visit here: - http://hashmihealthcares.com/product/asthma-treatment/


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello...
    Great post I like it.....
    If you want to know more about natural asthma treatment for all people without any side effect.
    For more info visit here: - http://hashmihealthcares.com/product/asthma-treatment/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this extremely informative article on asthma. I recently read about asthma treatment, preventive measures to control and medication for Asthma on breathefree.com. I found it extremely helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the information with us.
    People who are seeking for effective Asthma Ayurvedic Treatment in India can visit Dr Sharda Medi Life Ayurveda. They offer safe and effects free Ayurvedic Medicines for Asthma Treatment. For more details, you can visit their site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This man,Dr.Domic Elabe. The great and power herbalist,it's gifted and needs to be known by all those suffering from Herpes and most viral diseases. There's a cure to all sickness including HIV/AIDs,kidney stone,cancer,diabetes1,2,etc. I have Seen it with Dr.Elabe's Herbs. I saw him live on camp his not a scam. You can always contact him. I saw what makes me to trust him,his capable of curing any sickness. it's was just of recent,I understood why my aunt who he cured her 19 years old daughter from the same Herpes,called him doctor for all! Am so happy now. All my life time after I got my breakdown that I was diagnosed of Herpes,I was making use of the Acyclovir 200mg. 2 tablets every 6 hou,and of fustian cream 15grams and H5 POT Permanganate and 2x daily all couldn't work for me. All thanks to Dr. Dominic Elabe After 3 years of more researches seeking for the solution from one hospital to another but couldn't be satisfy with their result and my life was getting more closer to death. Had to listen to the voice of my aunt whom she directed me to you long ago. It was quiet unfortunate I misplaced you're contact details till when she had to call me and congratulated me in respect of her daughter's cure,that was when I remember when it says my people perish cos of lack of knowledge. You're a good and kind man. I obeyed all you medicinal rules as you instructed me after receiving from the DHL.and it all went successfully as you said...I'm so happy,cos it was a very big surprised and I think of joy to be celebrated that Stephanie it's now HSV free. More grace to you're able Dr.Dominic Elabe
    You can reach him for complaints or know more about Dr. Elabe and get cure for once for any of your heath problems ..@
    Emaile:dominicelabeherbalhome4all@gmail.com
    Phone no:+2348140918600

    ReplyDelete