Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Prenatal exposure to diesel exhaust induces asthma susceptibility through NK cell priming

Asthma often begins early in life and is attributed to more than just genetic factors, because the prevalence continues to rise. Epidemiological studies have indicated roles for prenatal and early childhood exposures, including exposure to diesel exhaust, however, little is known about the mechanisms involved. To elucidate this, Manners et al developed a mouse model of asthma susceptibility through prenatal exposure to diesel exhaust (J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014; 134(1): 63-72).

In this model, pregnant mice were repeatedly exposed to diesel exhaust particles (DEPs). Offspring were immunized and challenged with ovalbumin (OVA) or exposed to PBS (control) then examined for features of asthma. Compared to controls, offspring that were exposed to DEP were hypersensitive to OVA, indicated by airway hyperresponsiveness, elevated serum levels of OVA-specific IgE, and elevated levels of pulmonary and systemic T-helper type 2 (Th2) and Th17 cytokines. The authors determined that natural killer (NK) cells were the primary source of cytokine production and airway inflammation was diminished by antibody-mediated depletion of NK cells. Furthermore, asthma susceptibility was associated with increased transcription of genes known to be specifically regulated by the aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR) and oxidative stress.


These results coincide with previous data that suggests NK cells initiate allergic inflammation. AhR is expressed in NK cells which may provide a link between maternal exposure to diesel exhaust and asthma in offspring. Taken together, this data provides mechanistic insight into the process of prenatally-induced asthma susceptibility. 

1 comment:

  1. This man,Dr.Domic Elabe. The great and power herbalist,it's gifted and needs to be known by all those suffering from Herpes and most viral diseases. There's a cure to all sickness including HIV/AIDs,kidney stone,cancer,diabetes1,2,etc. I have Seen it with Dr.Elabe's Herbs. I saw him live on camp his not a scam. You can always contact him. I saw what makes me to trust him,his capable of curing any sickness. it's was just of recent,I understood why my aunt who he cured her 19 years old daughter from the same Herpes,called him doctor for all! Am so happy now. All my life time after I got my breakdown that I was diagnosed of Herpes,I was making use of the Acyclovir 200mg. 2 tablets every 6 hou,and of fustian cream 15grams and H5 POT Permanganate and 2x daily all couldn't work for me. All thanks to Dr. Dominic Elabe After 3 years of more researches seeking for the solution from one hospital to another but couldn't be satisfy with their result and my life was getting more closer to death. Had to listen to the voice of my aunt whom she directed me to you long ago. It was quiet unfortunate I misplaced you're contact details till when she had to call me and congratulated me in respect of her daughter's cure,that was when I remember when it says my people perish cos of lack of knowledge. You're a good and kind man. I obeyed all you medicinal rules as you instructed me after receiving from the DHL.and it all went successfully as you said...I'm so happy,cos it was a very big surprised and I think of joy to be celebrated that Stephanie it's now HSV free. More grace to you're able Dr.Dominic Elabe
    You can reach him for complaints or know more about Dr. Elabe and get cure for once for any of your heath problems ..@
    Emaile:dominicelabeherbalhome4all@gmail.com
    Phone no:+2348140918600

    ReplyDelete